We arrived at the mortuary and I helped set up some of Bridger's pictures, his hand and foot molds, and his slideshow. We then started being greeted by many friends and family. I was trying to keep myself as composed as possible because Carter was there and when he sees Mark or I crying he starts crying. But every time someone started crying I would start too. I never thought I would be standing next to my son's casket receiving condolences. It proves that life really is short, and precious, and could be over in an instant. Thank goodness for the knowledge of the gospel in our lives.
After visiting was over we had a family prayer given my Mark's dad. We then started the service by a talk from my dad. Even though I know that public speaking makes my dad really nervous, it was special that he spoke because we gave Bridger the middle name of Gary in honor of him. Then I read a poem and short story. I will probably post them later. When I was looking for something to read at the service I knew that the poem and story that I found were what I wanted to read for Bridger. I'm not going to lie, it was hard to read through them. Tears were covering my eyes the whole time, but I figured that I wanted to do as much as I could for him. I would have done something if it were a different event like his blessing or baptism. So, to me this wasn't any different. I wanted to be a part of his special day. After I read my poem and story my sister in law (Mark's sister) played a rendition of "I Know That My Redeemer Lives." She is one of the most talented piano players I know, and she played it perfectly. I know that she put her heart into playing that song for Bridger. Next, Mark spoke. Mark does such a good job at public speaking. I loved his talk and afterwards asked for it so that I could read through it often. Thank you Mark for everything that you said. After Mark's talk our bishop gave a few remarks too. After all the talks we (the congregation) sang Families Are Forever.
Mark was the pallbearer for Bridger and he sat his casket on his lap on our way to the cemetery. The weather had been cloudy and rainy but when it was time for the graveside service it was beautiful and sunny. When we got to Bridger's graveside Mark dedicated the grave and then we listened to and had a balloon release to the song, "Come, Thou Fount Of Every Blessing," by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. The spirit was so strong as we released the balloons during that song. Hearing the song now makes me kind of sad because I felt that when we let the balloons go into the sky that we were saying our final goodbye. I know that we will see him again, but this was our final goodbye for this lifetime. It was also sad because as everyone let their balloons go Carter said, "Uh Oh!" and started crying because all of the balloons were gone. He held on to his for as long as possible until it accidentally got let go of. I also kind of think that Carter knew was going on and was crying because of that too. That made me upset to think that he was sad because of losing his brother.
Like I said at the beginning of this post, it was a sad but special day. Although it was hard for me to say a last goodbye, it was also nice to have a little bit of closure and feel that Bridger is finally were he is suppose to be. Thank you so much to everyone that shared this special day with us.
We LOVE you little Bridger boy!
Love always,
Mommy
P.S. I probably should have made a slideshow but I didn't. So, there are lots of pictures. And Thanks Mom for taking the pictures for us! We will cherish them forever...
Our little Bridger Boy
His hand and foot molds - made by the SHARE organization
Mark (Daddy) dedicating Bridger's grave
My best friends
Our little family
Grandpa Gary keeping Carter happy
Uncle Brian and Emma
This statue is at Bridger's cemetery and it is one of the reasons why we love it there so much. We drove to the cemetery to check it out and saw this first thing. I think we knew right then that this was going to be the resting place for our own little angel.






6 comments:
It looks like it was a beautiful service. I'm sorry I couldn't be there. I wish I could have. You are still in my thoughts and prayers.
sounds like a very nice and sweet service. . . wish i could have been there with you.
your such a wonderful Momma Alison. . . Carter and Bridger are VERY lucky to have you.
lots of love and prayers for you and your sweet family.
Such a difficult time for your family. My heart breaks the more I read of this, but am grateful that you are sharing it with all of us. You and Mark are in my thoughts often.
-Gina Nerger
I am sure that was such a hard and draining day. But it looks beautiful and it is so nice to have such great family and friends to be there with you. I wish we could have been there. We are still thinking of your family and keeping you in our prayers. You are so strong and a wonderful mom.
You and Mark are truly a great example to me. Thank you!!
The services were absolutely beautiful. What a sweet little spirit Bridger shared with us all.
Post a Comment