So am thoroughly enjoying this toddlerhood phase that Carter is going through... Mostly. Let me explain the "mostly" part... This kid is as cute as a button but man does he have a temper! I know that tantrums are normal at this point but Carter throws exceptional tantrums. When he doesn't get his way he screams as loud as he possibly can - over and over. I have heard to ignore them and then he will learn that he can't throw a tantrum for attention. However, what the heck are you suppose to do in public?! i.e. CHURCH!!!??? All of my friends with kids say that people are used to it, but that is not the vibe I get when I am rushing down the isle with my kicking and screaming kid towards the exit. Ideas? Sympathy?
On a more fun note... I took Carter to get his one year old pictures done the other day. This was by far the hardest time I have ever had while trying to get his pictures done (see note above). He did not want to sit still for a second! Luckily we had an AWESOME photographer (Megan J. @ Newgate Kiddie Kandids) so we got some really cute pictures of him. Tantrums and all, I think he is the cutest kid ever! :)
FYI: My actual prints are cropped in or centered a little bit more. If you can see fingers or extra props in the prints they just crop them out when you order.

This one of him in the hat I had printed as a close up with a sepia overlay. It turned out SO cute I love it!
12 comments:
aw, yes. . . the joys of toddlerhood!
at least he is a very cute toddler!
i love his first year pics. . . what a wonderful time for your family :)
as for tantrums. . . indiana used to hold her breath until she would have convulsions and then pass out. . . our pediatrician told us to "ignore" the act she was doing and walk away to a safe distance so that she is still being watched but knows that kind of behavior is not noticed or gets what she wants. it worked and now she has stopped holding her breath. . . but the tantrums have not stopped altogether. . . now she is at a stage where she screams uncontrollably and throws herself to the ground and kicks and thrashes. the only thing that really works is leaving her alone to cry it out. . . reasoning and time outs don't help (sometimes make it worse) so putting her in her room (or when in public- putting her in the car) she has some "chill out" time and eventually she calms down. . . we let her know that is not how we act and hope someday it will stop! :) not too fun but a suggestion for your tantrums!
aren't they the worst in public!?!#?! some people really DON'T understand. . . so i say, nuts to them!
good luck and i hope this helps. . . you are not alone in the tantrum department of frustration! :)
that was a long "comment". . . more like a dissertation!
Very cute! I love Kiddie Kandids! I've been to a few places, but I only go there now. They are the best!
As someone who has heard him at church and been there myself I REALLY wouldn't worry about it. I know it is stressful and you feel like everyone is looking at you. That may be because they all remember doing the same thing. Keep it up. Atleast you keep coming back. There are people that let it keep them from even coming to church. SO I think you are doing fabulous.
Hmmm tantrums, I don't know anything about that because my kids are perfect. They don't act up in church either. LOL!! Seriously I'm not going to give you advice because obvoiusly I have no clue how to stop tantrums, especialy in public. Your a great mom and you seem like you always know just what to do so I guess I will give you some advice, follow your instincts. No matter what anyone tells you, you just have to find what works for you and Carter. For Chance, he is just BARELY starting to feel threatened and stop a tantrum if we mention the naughty chair. But not in public..I'm still trying to figure that one out. Antiwho LOVE Carter's pictures, as always, he's absolutely adorable. I'll have to come check out his sepia one.
Those pictures turned out so cute. Of course it helps to have such a darling little boy. Beau's 6 month pictures are creeping up on me. Maybe I will go there.
I REALLY wouldn't worry about his 'little' tantrums : ) If you haven't noticed, the chapel is filled with little screams . . . always! Almost everyone has been there or is currently experiencing the same thing you are.
You are doing a great job. I'm sure this phase will pass and the tantrums will become far less frequent (I'm hoping anyway, because Gracie is entering into her own fit-throwing phase!).
At least he is cute right and good most of the time? I agree with the church/public thing, I don't think people mean to but everyone turns and looks at you when they start screaming and the first thing you think is everyone hates me right now. I really think people understand though, at least I do and as another note I could hardly hear him when you went out this last Sunday.
I love his cute pictures too. I think he has a little bit of his cousins in him (Jessica's boys). He looks like you and Mark but I can see a little bit of his cousins in him, its cute.
My only suggestions on tantrums is putting him in his crib to calm down cause that what we have done with Emma before or just let her throw the tantrum and just ignore her. I still need suggestions on the public thing though. If you get any good advice on that one let me know.
Yes he is the cutest kid ever! Really! He is adorable! I had fun reading your blog and catchign up. I loved your little post about how well you know Mark. Too funny! i want to do that for Tyler and him me...humm...
About the tantrums. It's a stage. So sorry I know exactly how you feel. Just be consistent and good luck. I had the same and still do at times with Emma. It is those strong, creative, smart personalities! That is what I tell myself anyway. :) You are not alone!
PS I agree with Retro Plants too...just ignore it the best you can. Church is a whole other story I know, but you can take him out and into a room and let him cry it out. Good luck!
To answer you question on my blog.. I use Adobe InDesign, I tried to use photoshop at first. It was so hard though, InDesign is much easier to use, in my opinion. It is so fun hu?! I love it!
Tantrums and all those pictures turned out way cute! I don't have any good ideas for you.. I will have to ask you someday:)
Post a Comment