I have been wanting to post Paige's birth story but you know how it goes.. adjusting to two kids and all the sleep deprivation!
My actual due date was May 12th. On Friday, April 29th I was 38 weeks and at my weekly checkup my doctor said I was dilated to a five and he stripped my membranes and said he would likely see me that night or at least that weekend. Well, the weekend went by... I walked, and walked, and walked and did stairs too. NOTHING HAPPENED! At this point my hopes were up, I was very physically miserable with horrible upper back pain, and rib pain from her foot in there, and I was emotionally ready too. I was ready to get my baby here alive! Well, Monday came and I went in for my weekly NST. My doctor said that the baby looked great on the NST and I was having consistent contractions, but they didn't hurt. I asked if he would strip my membranes again and he said no because tomorrow was his surgery day. So we scheduled an induction for Thursday (one week before my due date).
After my appointment we were talking to him in the hall and Mark asked him if we were to go to the hospital would they send us home?.. My doctor said probably not but then succeeded to hint at still waiting for Thursday. I think he was tired and didn't want to do a delivery that night. Sorry doctor but that didn't happen! After we left his office we went straight to the hospital. I walked around for about a half hour to make sure my contractions would be stronger then we went into labor and delivery.
A nurse hooked me up to the monitor and next thing we knew the charge nurse came in and traded places with the other nurse. She said she read about our history in my chart and was very compassionate of our situation. She checked me and said I was a good four and said she was pretty sure when she called my doctor he would have me stay. She went and called him and he said to monitor me for an hour and if I progress I could stay. I thought, "Great! I doubt I will progress and we are going to have to go home!" For the entire hour my contractions stayed - not super strong, but they were consistent. Then she came to check me and said I had progressed enough and my water broke during the exam. YES! We were having this baby tonight! The arrangement was perfect too because Carter was at my parents house and Mark was with me. Plus, I knew I would progress super fast and I am always worried about making it to the hospital on time.
Next I was moved to a delivery room. It was not just any delivery room either... It was the room we delivered Bridger in. The nurse told me it is their nicest room. All of the nurses that work there want to deliver in that room. We decided to stay in that room to turn something sad that happened there into something good. It felt like Bridger was with us in that room again.
As soon as I got into the room I told them I wanted my epidural. They told the anesthesiologist but he was in surgery and would come soon - about 20 minutes they said. Yah right! After the 20 minutes they said 15 MORE minutes! At this point I was dying. My doctor checked me and said I was an 8. I was mad and scared that I was going to have to do this all natural. Sometime after that the anesthesiologist finally came in. I sat miserably through the epidural and once I got it and laid down my doctor checked me and said I was complete. Seriously?! (My entire labor was 2 hrs!) So basically the epidural took off the edge during pushing. I still felt a lot though! I can't remember how many times I pushed maybe about 5 times? She finally came out and they laid her on my stomach. I kept waiting for her to cry... it took her a minute and then she let out the best loud cry. I grabbed her hand and started crying. I was SO HAPPY! She made it here!
They weighed her and she weighed 9 lbs. 10 oz! She was 21 inches long. I knew she looked bigger and healthy but I was surprised! No wonder by back and ribs were killing me! She had LOTS of brown hair and it was kind of curly on top. I told my mom, "I think she looks like me!" I knew right then that she was my baby Paige. We didn't have an official name but really liked Paige. I have liked that name before Mark and I met and it also happens to be my middle name. We gave her the middle name of Maylen. "May" is after my grandma Maybelle, and "Len" is after my mom's middle name Lenn. So Paige's name is compiled of 3 generations of family. Plus, my mom's middle name is after her grandpa Leonard. So really, 4 generations..
Paige is the sweetest baby and is so good! We have had a little bit of a struggle with nursing since she does this weird thing with her tongue, but she is a good eater and eats every 3 hours. She loves to cuddle and be held - which I love. Carter has been SO cute with her! He says, "Hi baby, Hi baby, Hi baby" in a sweet high-pitched voice and gives her hugs and "pets" her head. He also asks about her and runs and lets me know when she cries. I hope it lasts!
So that is the story of her arrival. I was so grateful to have her here for Bridger's birthday on the 17th. It made the day more bearable. I know that she and Bridger were good friends before she came and joined us. That gives me comfort. I think they are still friends. When she smiles in her sleep I imagine she and Bridger playing or him telling her something to make her laugh.
Being a mom to three kids is great. I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything. I love my little sweeties.
P.S. Pictures to come soon!
Recipe of Ultimate Net crepe
5 years ago






6 comments:
So glad to hear your sweet story! Congrats again!
Congrats to all of you. I'm so happy she is here and doing well. She is lucky to have amazing parents and 2 older brothers. I can't wait to see pictures.
YAY! What a beautiful story. I was wondering what was going on. Wonderful to hear, congrats! And yes - post pictures!!
I am so happy for you! I love her name! Congratulations! Can't wait to see some pics.
I am soooo happy for you! I love the name and am glad the labor went so well!
Saw on FB awhile ago, but I don't think I'd heard the name. Love it! Congrats! Hope things are well!
Post a Comment